Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Mind Control

The practice of mind control is essential for reducing stress I find.

Mind control means nothing more and nothing less than that one should choose the thoughts one thinks.

I appreciate that this sounds difficult, but it isn't.

Most people just never try.

This morning, during routine maintenace, a fault in the outside drainage systems was discovered.

"This is going to cost me a fortune," I thought and then I stopped and asserted mind control.

To myself I said, "We will find out if the buildings insurance covers this."

Phew ...

Instant stress relief.

To stop when you find you are thinking something stressful, and DELIBERATELY thinking something positive or logical instead, takes stress right out in that moment.

There are some simple standard phrases I use a lot when this sort of thing happens.

"Wait and see," is one of them.

Jumping to conclusions is extremely stressy as well as happening under stress by default - our thoughts get jumpy, they're not logical, not cohesive, don't rationally follow one another in an orderly fashion.

"I'll never be able to pay this bill ..." -> Let's wait and see ... becomes a stopper that gives a breathing space to come up with a rational plan of action.

Another one I use a lot is, "This is going to be easy, and it's going to be fun."

I use that when I find I thought, "Oh God, I'll never be able to ...."

... survive the weekend with the inlaws;
... lose weight;
... get over this problem;
... pay those bills;
... convince the teenager to clean up their room;
... get this mess sorted out;
... make this computer do what I want it to;
... get home alive;
... etc. etc. etc.

Once I think stuff like that, I go and deliberately think and say to myself, "This is going to be easy, and it's going to be fun."

It takes the stress out and creates that space for figuring out what you have to do next.

Under the frame of "easy and fun" you might even get some good new ideas that just simply weren't there before.

Mind control is actually easy once you know that it's there, it is possible to change the direction of your thoughts, and think what you want to.

It becomes even easier with practice still, so - let's use our fine minds to solve our problems, clear of stress, and take control over what you want to think about, and how you want to think about it.

1 comment:

___